Thursday, March 31, 2022

Michael Pena as Cesar Chavez

 It's Cesar Chavez Day !  And since (sadly) I know nothing about the man I watched a movie called Cesar Chavez to learn something about him.


Cesar Chavez starring Michael Pena 

(from the back of the case) Cesar Chavez inspired millions of Americans from all walks of life to fight for social justice.  His triumphant journey began in Delano, California, and led him across the United States and to Europe where he tirelessly fought for his cause


All I know about Cesar Chavez I learned from this movie so I can't tell you if it is accurate.  But I do think it is worth a look.  I think it gets the spirt of the fight that Chavez (and so many others) fought.  Chavez organized strikes among farm workers to get a living wage and better working conditions.  You get to see all the different opposition he faced, starting with the workers themselves who were scared to strike to politicians who helped the farm owners when Chavez's boycotts started to work.  The movie only covers a short period in Chavez's life but you see his dedication to his cause, the strain it put on him and his family, the hate and prejudice of the people he opposed, and the help he got from people who supported his cause along with him.  I was angered and hearted in turns throughout the movie. I'm sure there is much more to Chavez's story than is in this one movie but I think it is a good place to get an idea of what he stood for.

No comments: