Saturday, March 26, 2022

Eat Your Spinach!


Today (March 26) is National Spinach Day!  I know a lot of people will not be excited about that.  But you should be.  Spinach is nutritious and delicious.  I mean it.  I actually like spinach.  So to celebrate National Spinach Day I made Spinach and Feta Brownies from Hungry Happens.  


Now Dictionary.com defines brownie as:

        a small, chewy, cakelike cookie, usually made with chocolate and containing nuts


Merriam-Webster defines it as: 

        a small square or rectangle of rich usually chocolate cake often containing nuts


So not a brownie.  And this is not one of those brownies that you use to try to trick your kids into eating spinach.  This one is supposed to taste like spinach.



The flavor reminds me of spanakopita, but without the fillo dough crust.  Is has flour and baking powder so it does rise while baking and that makes it a little airy.  The texture is something like a fluffy omelet or a quiche.  But it doesn't taste like eggs even though there are eggs in it.  And it has three kinds of cheese, which is always a good sign.


It is relatively easy to make.  Once you sauté your scallions and wilt your spinach (which need to be done in two batches - it is a lot of spinach) all you need to do is mix everything together and a pan.  Don't forget to grease it.  I did and it stuck like crazy.


I had it in the fridge for about a week and it held up fine and heating it in the microwave worked well.



I happened to have been serving it with chicken shawarma (I used The Mediterranean Dish recipe which is also pretty easy to make and delicious.) so I had made tzatziki sauce.  (Also from The Mediterranean Dish.)  The "brownie" is good all by itself by I think it was better with a little tzatziki.  The only issue I had with this dish was the parmesan on top.  Don't get me wrong, I love parmesan.  But it had an almost sandy texture that I didn't really like.  But the taste was great.


I like this.  It comes together quickly (although it is in the oven for 40 minutes) and it is a nice change for my usual side dish choices.



No comments: