Friday, October 1, 2010

Books I Finished in September

9 this month. Not all that good, not all that bad. But I’ve had a lot going on so I’ve decided to be very happy with it.


Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Can you believe I’ve never read this before? As everyone probably knows it is an entertaining tale of pirates, high seas adventure and treasure. I like how Stevenson was able to keep you wondering if Silver was all bad or if he was going to be able to redeem himself somewhat.

Roma by Steven Saylor
See my review here.

The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell
I like the protagonist and the way she sees the world. There was a piece in the middle with the family in the woods that seemed strange to me in a ‘what is that doing in there’ sort of way but it wasn’t enough to derail the story for me. Came up with some surprises too.

Silver: My Own Tale as Written by Me with a Goodly Amount of Murder by Edward Chupack
It was interesting to see Silver’s life before Treasure Island but I was kind of disappointed that the parts with Jim Hawkins didn’t match up with the Treasure Island story.

Monster Planet by David Wellington
I couldn’t really get into this one. With zombies and mummies and magic it seemed like it would be right up my alley but it just seemed all over the place to me. It didn’t help that I didn’t care about anyone in the entire story.

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
I liked it but I wanted to like it more. I liked that it was about all the people and not just the vampire and that it was a nice mix between the vampires being good and evil. But I wasn’t blown away like I had hoped to be.

Appointment with Death by Agatha Christie
Can’t go wrong with Agatha Christie.

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
The last in the trilogy. I think Collins does a good job of staying true to the feel of the first two but I’m rather ambivalent about the ending. I felt like we missed some things when Katniss was not looking or was unconscious.

Fragment by Warren Fahy
I’m ambivalent about this entire book. It felt like it couldn’t make up its mind whether it was a ‘run for your life’ action story, serious commentary on human impact or a lesson in science so it took turns being all three.

No comments: