Monday, December 3, 2012

Tuesdays With Morrie Review


Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

Mitch Albom had a favorite college professor who he promised to keep in touch with and didn’t.  Years later he finds out his old professor is dying and decides to get back in touch and ends up spending every Tuesday with him, listening to him explain all the things that death has taught him.  This book is the collected wisdom he shared with his former student in the last months of his life.



I had heard about this book and, since I tend to cry at the drop of a hat, I expected this to set off the water works.  But for some reason it didn’t.  Morrie seems like he would have been a very interesting guy to know.  And you can see how the time with Morrie helped Mitch set different priorities in his life and learn what was important to him.  But for some reason I had trouble relating.  I think the problem was that it quickly became a list of pithy little sayings, Morrie’s aphorisms, and it started to get trite.  It is nice to see someone face what Morrie faced with that much dignity.  I think that gives you hope it can be done.  But a lot of the wisdom here is not anything we haven’t heard before.  And hearing it again still leaves you with the problem of living it out, which the book can’t really help you with.  It’s not a bad book but I’m afraid I didn’t find enough depth here for it to have the power that other people seem to have found here.

1 comment:

Neha Sharma said...

This philosophical novel has proved to be an amazing one. I was spellbound when I was just done reading the last page of it. This book is about a dying man named Morrie Schwartz suffering from ALS a deadly disease, imparting his realization about the meaning of life and death to his former student, the author of this book, Mitch Albom. The excellence of his thoughts made me search on internet who this Morrie Schwartz actually was and I found a series of videos on Youtube, named Morrie: Lessons On Living (with Ted Koppel), which is actually a DVD published by ABC TV's 'Nightline' of New York.

Every page of this novel has some words of wisdom to impart. If one can concentrate on them and be able to get into the deep of what they mean it can change the way of seeing our lives. As I was proceeding with the book happiness seemed to be so natural thing to avail.

Wish to read this over and over again.