Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Books I Finished in August

12. Although I think I might be cheating by counting some of them.

99 Coffins by David Wellington
An army of evil vampires. You can’t beat that. I like the historical aspects that Wellington added to this one. It gives the vampire story a new twist.

Vampyre: The Terrifying Lost Journal of Dr. Cornelius Van Helsing by Dr. Cornelius Van Helsing (Mary-Jane Knight)
More vampires. I don’t know if I should even count this one as it is basically a picture book with flaps to lift and tabs to pull and all of that. But it does have a lot of words too. Fun in a goofy sort of way. I wouldn’t say it is scary exactly but probably not for young children either.

Walking Through Walls by Philip Smith
Philip Smith had an unusual childhood. It was interesting but I’m not sure how much I buy into this physic healer stuff.

Murder Mirage by Kenneth Robeson
Doc Savage. Classic pulp. I was surprised because I thought they would all be basically the same but I didn’t like this one as much as some of the others.

Wicked Plants by Amy Stewart
Lots of interesting tidbits in here. I’m not quite afraid to eat fruits and vegetables or take a walk in the woods. But it’s a near thing.

Frenchman’s Creek by Daphne du Maurier
Dashing pirates and true love.

Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
There are flaws but still very entertaining. Although the Mistress can get a little self-important sometimes.

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters
Talking, intelligent zombies. It’s a YA book so there is a little coming of age too.

Appaloosa by Robert B. Parker
I have read some of Parker’s Spencer novels but this is the first western of his that I’ve read. I really liked it. I love these characters and I was happy to find out that there are more books in this series.

The Passing of the Third Floor Back by Jerome Jerome
It’s a play so it isn’t something I read a lot of and the stage directions got no my nerves a little. The only other thing I’ve read by Jerome Jerome is Three Men in a Boat which I thought was hilarious and I was kind of expecting this to be the same. It isn’t, but it is still interesting.

Impostor’s Daughter by Laurie Sandell
Another memoir. This one is graphic novel format. I’m not a fan of the drawing style here so that didn’t help. Is it possible to be completely honest in a memoir and still not go very deep into a story? I don’t know exactly what it was but it left me oddly unsatisfied.

Poison by Chris Wooding
Girl goes on a quest into the dark land of faerie. I was not overjoyed with it but I didn’t hate it either.

No comments: