Wednesday, January 12, 2022

But I Just Want A Beer...

So I recently went to Trinidad.  And I know what you're thinking.  Why would you travel internationally now?  And you are not wrong.  But my stepdaughter was getting married and it was important to my husband and me that we be there.  So off we went.


All the form we had to fill out and all the hoops we had to jump through were a pain.  And there were a few setbacks.  But we got it done.  


We made reservations at the Kapok Hotel.  But a few days later we got an email saying they could not honor our reservations.  Why?  I don't know.  But I started to panic.  Everything just seemed so much harder than it should be.  But my husband has a calmer nature.  Thankfully.  So we found another hotel, and it was cheaper.  So I wasn't as upset any more.


We ended up staying at the Radisson Hotel in Port of Spain.  


I go to the front desk and tell them who I am.  They have my reservation and everything seems fine.  She hands me the keys, gave me the wi-fi password.  We noticed a bar and asked if it was open and were assured that it was but we would have to drink outside by the pool.  We had to go back outside to park our car in the lot.  The lot is right out front and you don't need to use a key card or anything to get in and no one is ever there to check if you are a guest at the hotel.  (So if you are ever on Wrightson Road in Port of Spain and need some where to park.)


Now, I need my morning coffee so maybe other people would not have instantly noticed the coffee maker but I did.  It was one of the one cup coffee makers (I can't remember the brand) that uses coffee disks.  Only there were no disks.  Just little packs of instant coffee.  So maybe you use the machine to heat the water?  And then just pour in the instant coffee?  I don't know.  But it was a small problem.


The bed was comfortable.  The bathroom was stocked with all the normal hotel bathroom things.  There was a desk, TV, safe, hairdryer.  (I forgot to check if there would be a fridge while making the reservation.  There was not.  My fault for not checking but disappointing.  It meant warm beer for me.)  Everything seemed fine.  And it was for a day. 


But then we go out and come back and our room isn't clean.  The next day it is.  But it was kind of hit and miss.  They cleaned the room when they felt like it.  And since the room wasn't being cleaned no one was checking up on toiletry supply levels.   We had to ask for more toilet paper twice.  I tried to use the hair dryer.  Well, to be honest it worked fine. But the whole entire thing was sticky and I didn't want to touch it so I gave that up.  I have to admit that the laundry service was good if a little expensive.  


They didn't tell us what the rules for the dining room were so we just show up for coffee expecting someone there will tell us.  There was no one there.  So we got our coffee and left.  We went back a few times and each time it was different.  Once we had to give our room number (which was fine and actually made sense) but the next day we give our room number and get our coffee and are called back to pay for it.  After we have gotten coffee there for almost a week.  The next time we were asked to sign in for breakfast.  Any one of these would be fine but choose one please.


Then one day we decide a nice cold beer would be great.  So we ask on the way in if the bar is already open and are assured that it is.  We drop our stuff in the room and come back down and stand at the bar.  In the lobby, in full view of about six hotel employees.  And we wait.  With no one behind the bar.  For 15 minutes.  We finally ask (again) someone walking by if the bar is actually open and are assured it is but we will have to drink outside.  She promises to find the bartender and tells us to have a seat outside.  We do.  And we wait another 15 minutes.  A few employees walk by but no one says anything to us.  So we go back inside - where there is still no one behind the bar - and give the whole thing up.  We drank warm beer in our room.

 

Check out was fine.  There were no odd charges on my bill.  Everything was as it should be.  But I was home for a week before my credit card was actually charged for the room.


I don't need luxury but I don't want to be made to feel like I am inconveniencing the staff by staying there.  And I felt unwelcome.  So I will de them a favor and not go back.  We will be going back to Trinidad (when travel restrictions lighten up) but we will not be staying at the Radisson.  


No comments: