Sunday, February 6, 2011

From Hell Review

From Hell
With Johnny Depp

A murderer known as Jack the Ripper is killing prostitutes in horrible ways. Johnny Depp plays the opium addicted Scotland Yard super detective that comes along to try to catch him.

I was watching this movie and it wasn’t until about 15 minutes from the end when I realized I had seen the whole thing before. That’s how memorable I found this movie. It’s dark, literally a lot of the time, sort of creepy with a few gory, bloody scenes. Unfortunately it is long, slow and rather dull. The reasoning behind the murders is interesting but the process of figuring it out wasn’t. There was a touch of the supernatural in it and I was fine with the way you were never really sure if Depp’s character’s visions were real or opium induced but then there were some strange things at the end that weren’t explained when I think they really should have been. Because as it was the conclusion didn’t make a whole lot of sense. I never really felt anything for the characters so didn’t care what happened to them so then I didn’t care what happened in the movie. I haven’t read the graphic novel this is based on so I can’t compare the two but I think the movie is certainly something that can be missed without loss.

No comments: