Monday, July 4, 2022

We're All Mad Here

Do you know what today is?  No, I'm not talking about the 4th of July.  It's National Alice in Wonderland Day!  So, to celebrate, I read a book that is not about Alice.  I know, it's a controversial choice.  But the story does take place in Wonderland.  So I stand by it.


Wonderland written by Tommy Kovac, illustrated by Sonny Liew


The White Rabbit mistakes Alice for his housemaid, Mary Ann.  This is her story.



This story takes place after Alice has disappeared from Wonderland.  It follows Mary Ann, who we never got to meet in the original story.  The illustrations are fun and whimsical, perfect for a story about Wonderland.  You get to see a lot of the familiar characters, the White Rabbit, the Queen of Hearts, the Jabberwock shows up, among others.  The story is chaotic in a way, all sorts of nonsensical things happen, and it jumps around a bit.  Which seems like a very Wonderland thing, and it is fun and entertaining, but it also made the plot a little hard to follow at times.  I enjoyed this book.  I like that you get to see what happened in the aftermath of Alice's visit to Wonderland.  I like that you get a further look into some of the characters that you are introduced to by Lewis Carroll.  But the plot felt scattered and didn't come together as well I could have wished.  But it is still fun to read, and the illustrations are wonderful.  It is definitely worth a look. 

No comments: