Friday, July 1, 2022

The Friday 56

  Rules:


* Grab a book, any book.

* Go to page 56.  Or 56% on your ereader. 

* Find a snippet, short and sweet.

* Post it and add the url to your post at Freda's Voice



I like sea life.  And I think sharks are cool.  But then I don't spend very much time in the water so I can afford to think that sharks are cool from the safety of my sofa.  I never want to be anywhere near a real, live shark.  That would not be cool.  My book this week is Demon Fish by Juliet Eilperin.  It is all about sharks and people's interaction with them.  Did you know you are more likely to be killed by an elephant than a shark?  I assume that is statistically.  Like, every year more people are killed by elephants than sharks.  Because there are obviously some people who will come in contact with sharks but not elephants,  And it is very unlikely that I will be killed by (or even come near) either.  But I digress.  













The Friday 56:



Now a professional underwater filmmaker living in Santa Barbara, he's ebullient even when he's describing what it was like to feel the life draining from his body.  He shows off his scarred arm, repaired after he underwent two skin grafts and eleven separate operations, without reservation.






This guy gets attacked by a shark and, not only, still goes in the water to make his living but is part of a group of other shark attack survivors who are trying to save sharks. Good for them.  I hope I could feel the same way.  The sharks are just trying to survive.  





2 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Great excerpts! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE SECOND HUSBAND”

fredamans said...

You sound just like my hubby and sharks. He's a big fan but you won't ever catch him in the ocean.. lol... Happy weekend!