Sunday, August 7, 2011

Books I Finished in June and July

Okay, so I’ve been gone for a while. I took an unexpected and unplanned break from things this summer. Not from work. I still had to go to work. But from reading, blogging, writing reviews and just about everything but vegging out on the sofa watching TV and playing with Facebook apps. I’ve starting reading again so I think I am over my funk or whatever it was. I’m going to start my blog back up with a list of books that I finished in June and July. I’m afraid it will be a short list.


The Accidental Werewolf by Dakota Cassidy
I should have known better. I should have known from the title and the cover that this was not my kind of book. It became a sure thing the first time the word yummy was used to describe a guy. It wasn’t a bad book. Just not my thing.

What on Earth Have I Done? By Robert Fulghum
Anecdotal stories. Short little things best read one or two at a time.

The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano
I’m not sure what it was about this book that I liked. The main character was a self-pitying type that I usually hate to read about but for some reason she didn’t bother me. A girl hiding from the killers she was a witness against is not a new idea but Cristofano but an interesting turn on it.

Let’s Bring Back by Lesley M.M. Blume
A list of things (words, places, foods, etc.) that have disappeared or gone out of style that the author thinks should be brought back. Some interesting stuff here. Some things I’ve never even heard of before. It’s another book best read a little at a time.

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks
It’s fun. I like that it makes it all sounds so serious but manages to have a lot of humor too. Besides, it never hurts to be prepared.

Blazin’ Barrels Vol. 2 by Min-Seo Park
It’s a fun silly manga. I think I’ll try to find the rest.

O Pioneers! By Willa Cather
I like the main character which is always a big part of liking the book for me. It spans a lot of time and so skips over chunks of years but you never feel as if you’ve missed anything. You get a nice feel for her struggles, hardships and triumphs.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Read my review here.

Tarzan and the Lion Man by Edgar Rice Burroughs
This is not one of my favorite Tarzan books. I don’t know if I wasn’t in the right mood for it or if the plot really wasn’t as good as some of the others. But whatever the reason I didn’t enjoy this one as much as I expected to.

No comments: