Friday, August 7, 2009

The Friday 56, Breakfast at Tiffany's

Rules:
* Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Storytime with Tonya and Friends.
*Post a link along with your post back to Storytime with Tonya and Friends.
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

The closest book to me this week is Breakfast at Tiffany's: A Short Novel and Three Stories by Truman Capote. I saw the movie again recently and decided to see how it compared to the book. It was interesting that some scenes were taken almost word for word from the book but they were still very different in many ways. I liked them both. Although, even though the woman in the book is light haired I kept seeing Audrey Hepburn in the role in my head.

I'll stop blathering now and give you the sentence.

On Christmas Eve she and Mag gave a party. Holly asked me to come early and help trim the tree. I'm still not sure how they maneuvered that tree into the apartment. The top branches were crushed against the ceiling, the lower ones spread wall-to-wall; altogether it was not unlike the yuletide giant we see in Rockefeller Plaza.

Okay, so I can never limit myself to just one sentence. I'd promise to do it next time but I know it wouldn't happen.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

haha! I usually can't limit mine to one sentence either, just so happens that the following sentence this week wouldn't have made much sense unless I went on for three more!

I've never read the book so I think I would be seeing Audrey while I read too.

Robin M said...

Good one. Will have to read the book at some point. Have always wanted too. I limited mine to one sentence and it took the whole thing totally out of context.