Sunday, August 1, 2010

Books I Finished in July

Got to 11 in July. A couple of short books and the fact that I really don’t do anything else helps keeps my numbers up.


The Woman Who Wouldn't by Gene Wilder
It was cute and kind of sweet. I liked it but not as much as I liked My French Whore by Wilder.

Dog Days by John Levitt
Good urban fantasy. Maybe not my favorite but I definitely enjoyed it. I think I might need a break from the genre though because some of the characters are starting to feel familiar from other books.

The White Mary by Kira Salak
Read my review here.

Another Faust by Daniel Nayeri
Disappointing. I wanted to like this and I think it had potential but there was a huge lull in the middle that I had trouble paying attention through.

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
More of a zombie book than I had anticipated. I like zombie books so I didn’t mind but unfortunately the main character did not really grab my attention and I had trouble caring what happened to her.

The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry
This was disappointing too. I had read another Cotton Malone book and really liked it so bought this one but didn’t care for it. I didn’t like the characters as much and was a little put off by the anti Christian/Catholic/religion angle.

Skin Deep by Mark Del Franco
It takes place in the same world as his Connor Grey series so the setting was familiar to me but I like the Grey series better. And I got a little tired of hearing how Laura was wearing clothes that were tight in all the right places and how that distracted the men around her.

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan
I wanted answers to the questions the first book left me with and I got some of those so I’m happy about that. But somewhere along the line this book started to read like the first one, same plot different cast. Choosing between two guys, out beyond the safety of the fence and all that. I’m ambivalent.

One Of Us Is Wrong by Donald Westlake
Filled with Westlake’s quirky characters and his humor.

Epic: The Story God is Telling and the Role That is Yours to Play by John Eldredge
Eldredge has some good ideas but I was surprised and a little annoyed by the end at how often he quoted someone else or compared something to a movie or book. At about 100 pages it seemed like a lot of the words were not his own.

The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong
Fast, fun, exciting without being predictable or storybook happy all the time. I think it was a nice conclusion to the Darkest Powers Trilogy.

No comments: