Friday, February 17, 2023

The Friday 56

 Rules:

* Grab a book, any book.

* Go to page 56.  Or 56% on your ereader. 

* Find a snippet, short and sweet.

* Post it and add the url to your post at Freda's Voice



My book this week is The Hummingbird's Gift by Sy Montgomery.  It is about two women who are trying to raise orphan hummingbirds.  They got them before they even had feathers.  They had to be fed every 20 minutes.  If you feed them too little they die, if you feed too much they die.  Raising hummingbirds is a tricky business.









The Friday 56:



The little bird zigzags after the flies, seizing them in a tweezer-like bill that has grown at least a quarter inch since I saw him.  Zuni's flights last only seconds and sound like a propeller plane - but to me, they are miraculous






Apparently when a hummingbird makes a lot of noise when it is hovering it means he is not very good at it.  Zuni is still learning here.  But since mites could kill him, poison to kill mites could kill him, too little or too much food could kill him, everything is seems could kill this delicate little thing it was a miracle he was alive at all.  It was an interesting story and I learned some things I didn't know about hummingbirds.  And at only 79 pages it is a quick read.









3 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I am fascinated by hummingbirds. We get them around here now and then, but not as often as I would like. This sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a great weekend!

Breana M. said...

I love hummingbirds. So I'm intrigued by this book. Have a great weekend!

fredamans said...

I have a fascination for hummingbirds since they were my late grandfathers' favorite bird. Happy weekend!