Tuesday, September 20, 2022

What Do You Do With a Wounded Gryphon?

How to Heal a Gryphon by Meg Cannistra


Giada comes from a long line of magical healers.  Healers of humans that is.  She wants to be a healer too, but of animals.  But that is forbidden.  She must decide if she will risk disappointing her family to follow her heart.  And when her brother disappears she must use all her skills and talents to find him.


This is a fun book.  Giada is feisty and rebellious and you hope she can convince her family to let her follow her heart.  At the same time she can act like a brat sometimes and you have to remember that she is 13 and still growing and learning.  I like that she is a flawed hero.  She is not always right and sometimes has to be reminded by her friends (who include an equally feisty cat familiar) that being stubborn and head strong is not always the answer.  One of the things that drew me to this book is the first place was the promise of mythical creatures.  I wish there were more of them here.  I liked the gryphons and that she 'talks' the the spider in her garden, but the animals were more often used by her as a means to an end instead of viewed as friends or something needing care.  But I found myself wanting to pick the book back up every time I had to put it down.  It drew me in.  There are a few elements I'm hoping get explored further in upcoming books but this is a complete story. There is no cliff hanger ending to make you read the next book.  But I don't need one.  I want to read more about these characters and the world they live in.



I got a free copy of this book from Bookish First.

No comments: