Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Moonshine for My Birthday

I didn't actually drink any moonshine on my birthday.  Although, I wouldn't be opposed to that.  But I did have a couple of drinks at Moonshine 152.


I don't even know how to describe the cuisine at Moonshine 152.  They have jalapeno crab rangoon, short rib grilled cheese, lamb meatballs, braised rabbit pasta, tapas style patatas bravas, Hawaiian poke bowls, Thai fried rice among other things.  They seem to have a little of everything.  


The restaurant isn't huge but the whole front of the building is windows so it
feels open and roomy inside without losing the warm inviting feeling.  Make sure you check out the chef's artwork that you can find hanging on the walls.  


We were early and had our choice of seats and sat at the bar.  The bartenders were friendly and helpful.  They had a nice selection of bourbons and we didn't feel rushed to order while we sat and enjoyed a drink before dinner.  But the bartender was right there when we were ready.  


We got the 'Moonshine's Boston's Best Fried Chicken' to start.  It is buttermilk fried chicken wings with a poblano ranch dressing.  It was awesome.  The chicken was cooked perfectly.  The batter was light and crispy.  And the sauce was the perfect compliment.


There were a lot of things on the menu I was interested in trying but when I first go to a restaurant and am unsure if I will be going back I usually go with something familiar.  Something I have a large basis for comparison for.  Like a burger.  Which is what both my husband and I got.  


Once again it was cooked perfectly.  It was juicy and flavorful.  The shoe string fries that came with it were good as well.  



Picking dessert was a challenge.  It was between the butterscotch pudding and the Oreo layered fudge brownie.  The couple sitting next to us at the bar said we had to try the butterscotch pudding.  And that tipped the scale.  I like butterscotch, so I might be bias, but it was delightful.  Rich and creamy, and the Chantilly cream on top was perfect.  It was sweet but not too sweet.  We ordered one to share and it would have been plenty for both of us but the chef actually came out and gave us a complimentary Oreo layered fudge brownie!  I didn't even mention it was my birthday.  So I got to try them both anyway.  The brownie doesn't look like much on the plate but, trust me, it is plenty big.  It is very sweet so we were not able to finish it but it was tasty.  If you like Oreos that is.  It is a good fudgy brownie with Oreos in it.  How can you go wrong?  



I also had a couple of cocktails.  The Old Fashioned was great but my advice is stay away from La Diabla.  She lives up to her name.


It was a wonderful evening and I plan to go back.  I will pretend I am going to try all new things from the menu but will probably get the fried chicken again.  I was still thinking about it days after I ate it.


No comments: