Wednesday, November 9, 2022

I feel like I'm drowning in this book

 Watersong by Clarissa Goenawan


Shouji runs afoul of some very important people and has to flee for his life.  But he has to do it without his girlfriend who is no where to be found.  Will he ever see her again?  Where could she possibly be?


I had a hard time deciding how I felt about this book.  There are some interesting concepts here.  But nothing ever really took full shape for me.  Everything felt hazy and unreal.  Shouji, and the reader, just seem to be floating along.  Going no where in particular, just letting the current take us... wherever.  And in the end I never got back to shore.  I was still lost at sea.  I can't say it was not entertaining to read.  But at the same time I can't tell you any particular part of the book I liked.  I didn't connect with any of the characters and none of the plot lines or scenarios felt very real.  And the whole thing left me feeling unresolved.  Like a trip that didn't go anywhere.  I will not be reading anything else by Goenawan.




I got a free copy of this book from Librarything.com, Early Reviewers.


No comments: