Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Let's Celebrate Bourbon!

 Today (June 14th) is National Bourbon Day!


I became a whiskey drinker later in life.  In fact, I didn't start to drink whiskey (or whisky) until I met my husband four years ago.  I never developed a taste for Scotch.  But Bourbon was another matter.  


Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with just pouring some bourbon in a glass and enjoying it just like that.  Or adding some ice and enjoying it chilled.  But bourbon also makes a great cocktail.


My go to cocktail for bourbon is the Old Fashioned.  Close to straight bourbon, but with some bitters and simple syrup.  


I love ginger beer, so I like the Kentucky Mule.  Like a Moscow Mule, but with bourbon.


Or you can try the Boulevardier.  Which is like a Negroni but with bourbon instead of gin.  


Also good, the New York Sour.  This one is like a Whisky Sour with a red wine float.  The red wine adds another nice fruity taste to the drink.

Derby

Also reminiscent of a whisky sour is a Derby.  This one has a few more ingredients than some of the others with sweet vermouth and orange liquor.  But with three quarters of an ounce of lime juice it was a bit much for me.  I would cut that a bit so I could taste the other ingredients more.


Similar to a Derby is the Man o'War.  But with lemon instead of lime and different proportions this one is not as sour and I think all the flavors come through more.


Almond Old Fashioned

If you want to go sweet instead of sour try the Peach Bourbon Cocktail.  The peach schnapps adds a nice sweetness and the orange juice give it a nice fresh flavor.


I like amaretto but I think it is too sweet to drink all by itself.  The Almond Old Fashioned is a good solution.  The amaretto is not lost in the bourbon but it is not too sweet either.


Revolver

Another spin on the Old Fashioned is the Galliano and Bourbon Old Fashioned.  Again, the Galliano adds a sweetness and the bourbon tempers the strong anise flavor of the Galliano for a nice balance.


If you want to add a coffee kick to your bourbon try the Revolver.  The coffee liquor adds some nice deep notes and blends well with bourbon.



Manhattan

Also worth a try is a Bourbon Manhattan.  Just bourbon, sweet vermouth and bitters.  Sort of Old Fashioned-esque but with some nice herbal flavors from the vermouth without it being bitter.



There are many more out there.  Go.  Explore.  Try different bourbons in the same cocktail and see how they change.  Have fun.  But, please, drink responsibly.  

No comments: