Wednesday, April 15, 2020

They Came Together Movie Review


They Came TogetherThey Came Together - starring Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler

A spoof of Rom-Coms everywhere.  A big candy corporation is trying to shut down a small candy store.  The corporation man meets the owner of the little candy store and all sort of cliches ensue.


I would say give this one a pass.  I understand that it is a spoof. I wasn't expecting heartwarming stuff here.  But it just wasn't funny.  The whole movie is all of the cliche characters and hokey plot devices used in romantic comedies being exaggerated in traditional spoof fashion.  But instead of it being hilarious it became tedious.  It felt like I was watching it for a lot longer than the 83 minutes run time.  They tell the same jokes over and over and the writing fails to be clever - at all - and relies on over the top nonsense for laughs.  I didn't laugh.  I am not a huge fan of romantic comedies, neither do I hate them.  So I have seen enough rom-coms to get the references but feel no need to defend the genre against attack.  I thought I would be a good audience for this movie.  But this one just fell flat.

No comments: