Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Books I Finished in May

Eleven. Memorial Day weekend helped me out. I was able to slip another one in there instead of working that day.


The Faceless Ones by Derek Landy
#3 in the Skulduggery Pleasant series. I think the first two were better but this one is still fun and I don’t plan to stop reading them.

What’s So Funny? by Donald Westlake
Dortmunder. I like the Dortmunder books. This one is not my favorite but it’s hard to go wrong with Westlake.

Hold the Enlightenment by Tim Cahill
Travel stories. Some of them funny some not but I always like Cahill’s style.

Something Missing by Matthew Dicks
Interesting idea. And you do get to like the main character even though he is a thief and, quite frankly, a bit of a loser.

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey
Not as good as I had hoped. Although I don’t really know what I was hoping for here.

Flight of Shadows by Sigmund Brouwer
See my review here.

The Beekeeper’s Apprentice by Laurie R. King
Holmes isn’t like Doyle’s Holmes so if that is going to upset you, don’t read this. I liked it but I can’t articulate why. Sorry, I know that is no help at all.

Unperfect Souls by Mark Del Franco
Connor Grey series. Once again not my favorite of the bunch but if there are more coming I will certainly still read them.

Nobody’s Prize by Esther Friesner
Sequel to Nobody’s Princess. I don’t think you have to read the first one first but it is probably a good idea. I like the way Friesner incorporates the myths but does not make the book fantasy at all. Helen got on my nerves sometimes though.

The House Without a Key by Earl Derr Biggers
Charlie Chan. I liked it. It’s a good mystery and I think Chan is funny.

The Return of Captain Conquer by Mel Gilden
A silly, fun, short, simple little story. Good for kids but I think that anyone that is a fan of the old serials or old TV superheroes will like it.

No comments: