Saturday, May 1, 2010

Books I finished in April

I managed twelve in April but only because most of them were short.


A Corpse at St Andrew's Chapel by Melvin Starr
See my review here.

Agents of Light and Darkness by Simon R. Green
I read the first one in this series but it was so long ago I couldn’t remember if I liked it. So I gave the second one a shot. Not bad.

Hawk by Brian Neary
See my review here.

The Time of Terror by Seth Hunter
A good historical fiction with lots of adventure, intrigue and romance.

The Pencil by Henry Petroski
Some of this is rather dry reading but there are some very interesting things about pencils that I did not know.

Skulduggery Pleasant: Playing With Fire by Derek Landy
Still good but I don't think I liked it quite as much as the first one. Maybe some of the novelty has worn off.

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! by Richard P. Feynman
Feynman is a very interesting guy. Sometimes he talked about things that were over my head but they were not really the focus of the story so it didn’t matter that I didn’t know what they were.

The Land That Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Classic Edgar Rice Burroughs. Heroes, beautiful women, dinosaurs, adventure and all that good stuff.

The People That Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Sequel to the one above. This one was good too.

Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare
What is there to say? Shakespeare is always good.

Out of Time's Abyss by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Comes after The People That Time Forgot. I had to find out how it all turned out.

Shylock's Daughter by Mirjam Pressler
It seemed appropriate after Merchant of Venice since the Shylock in the title is the Shylock from the play. Things don’t happen exactly the same in the book as they do in the play but all the major points are there. You get a more complete and human look at Shylock and learn a little Jewish history too.

No comments: