Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Quite a Marvel


 The Marvellers by Dhonielle Clayton


Ella is the first Conjuror to be accepted at the Arcanum Training Institute, a school for Marvellers.  She is excited and nervous.  Will she be accepted by the other students?  By the teachers?  Will she make friends?  Along with the regular perils of growing up and of being different, Ella finds out there are plots, schemes and evil afoot in the Institute.  With the help of her new friend Ella must find out what is going on.



This is fine if you like magical coming of age stories.  There are some moments that were fun, but I was rather unimpressed by the story as a whole.  I felt lost at times because ideas were not explained very well.  The beginning of the story is rather slow.  But my main complaint is that nothing feels new, or original.  I feel like I have heard this story before. It was a not unpleasant, but I never felt excited or engaged.  I have no desire to read the next books in this series. 



I got a free copy of this book from Bookishfirst.com.  

No comments: