Wednesday, May 17, 2023

That's Quite A Banana


 Banana by Zoey Abbott


A dad does everything with his daughter.  Thay always have a great time together.  But then dad gets a banana.  At first, they have fun together with the banana but then dad starts spending all his time with the banana instead of his daughter.  What should she do?


I think it is fun that it is banana that distracts the father.  The point is it could be anything.  So why not a magic banana?  And I think it is cute that when the dad feels bad the daughter knows exactly what to do to make him feel better.  But.  I do think this is a cautionary tale aimed more at the parent reading the book than the child the book is being read to.  Which is not necessarily a bad thing.  If you can inform the parent while entertaining the child that is a good thing.  But the major problem I have is the message it gives the child that if they think something is taking too much of their parent's time, they should destroy it.  I think this book encourages children to just get rid of things they don't like and I don't think that is a good message.  Probably not something I will read to my nieces.  



I got a free copy of this book from Librarything.com, Early Reviewers.



No comments: