Thursday, February 10, 2022

What do you do with an umbrella? (The Thingamabob Review)

It's National Umbrella Day!  How do you celebrate such a day?  I don't really know.  It isn't even raining.  So I thought I would read this picture book about an elephant who finds an umbrella but doesn't know what it is.  It seemed as good a way as any.


The Thingamabob by Il Sung Na



An elephant finds a thingamabob and tries all sorts of uses for it to figure out what it is.


When an elephant happens upon a thingamabob (or an umbrella as we would call it) he tries everything to figure out what it is.  He tries to fly with it, sail with it and hide behind it but nothing works until it starts to rain.  I think it would make a great read aloud book because I can see kids telling the silly elephant that he has got it wrong and answering him when he asks what his thingamabob could possibly be.  I love the fun, whimsical illustrations and they add a great deal of humor to this story of curiosity and discovery.

No comments: