Sunday, May 2, 2021

Tenet Movie Review

 

Tenet

Armed with only one word, Tenet, and fighting for the survival of the entire world, a Protagonist journeys through a twilight world of international espionage on a mission that will unfold in something beyond real time.


Okay.  So this sounds really cool.  And then when you realize there is time travel involved it sounds even cooler.  And then when you know that some of the time travel elements involve people and things moving backward in time it gets cooler still.  And I had to admit I wondered how they would work that out in the movie.  Unfortunately they really didn't.  Sure you see some things move backward, bullets going back into a gun for instance, but the rest is just a jumble.  At one point in the movie the protagonist is advised 'don't try to understand it' and I would advise you as the audience to do the same.  Some of the visuals are impressive.  But you spend almost all of the movie trying to figure out what is happening.  And not in the good mystery, suspense sort of way, in the I'm lost and confused and stating to get irritated way.  I started this movie confused and I kept watching expecting that it would all come together at some point and I would get an 'aha' moment but it never happened.  I could follow the story in general and have an idea of what happened but it wasn't fun to watch what seemed like a bunch of random stuff happening in between the couple of things that I could actually follow.  Some reviews say that you have to watch it several times for it all to sink in.  I couldn't possibly sit through this movie again.  I thought it was way too long the first time.  Not to mention the long uninteresting fight scene they make you watch twice.  I guess this is a movie for people who want to invest more time and energy than I do in a movie.  I like movies that make me think but in the end I'm watching a movie to be entertained.  This did not entertain me.

No comments: