Monday, February 1, 2010

Books I Finished in January

I read some short books this month so I managed to get up to eleven.


The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke
Good. I liked it but I think that the first half of the book was better than the last half.

The Firebrand by George Challis
Swashbuckling adventure. A lot of fun if you like this sort of thing.

By the Pricking of My Thumbs by Agatha Christie
I think this is the first Tommy and Tuppence book I’ve read. They weren’t together much in the book and I think I would have liked it better if they were.

Company of Liars by Karen Maitland
Interesting. Slightly strange. Definitely grim.

Transition by Vonda McIntyre
Second book in the series. I should have read the first one I guess. I thought I was going to be able to catch up but I don’t think I ever really did. I missed too much.

Stones of Summer by Dow Mossman
Man, this is long. I felt like I had been reading it forever. Full of strange metaphors. Nothing could just happen, it had to happen like something else. Usually something I couldn’t even envision. I liked a lot of the characters but I’m not sure they were enough to make the book worth reading for me.

Romeo's Ex by Lisa Fiedler
I liked the different vantage point on the play but I’m not sure I liked the way Fiedler changed things up at the end.

Unfallen Dead by Mark del Franco
Third in the Connor Grey series. I like these books. They make me laugh and always build to a very impressive climax.

Shambling Towards Hiroshima by James Morrow
Funny in a dark sad sort of way. I liked that I felt the story was like nothing I had read before.

Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow
Vampires and zombies and werewolves, oh my. I like this sort of stuff but I felt like this book was a big set up to the series. I kept waiting for the story and never really got there. Not that stuff didn’t happen, I just think that with all this stuff out of the way the next one will be better.

Huckleberry Finished by Livia J. Washburn
A fun fast read.

No comments: