Friday, January 1, 2010

Books Finished in December

Any slowness this month I'm blaming on all the time I put into The Stones of Summer by Dow Mossman. You'll notice it does not appear on this list. It may not even make it to the January list. But I'm determined now that it will make the list someday. But now for the books I did manage to finish...

Immortals: The Crossing by Joy Nash
If I were a fan of romances I think I would have liked this a lot more. But being that I'm not it was just okay. I did think the plot had potential.

Salem's Lot by Stephen King
For some reason I never really gave Stephen King a chance but I like vampire books so I thought this one would be a good start. I was surprised by how much I liked it.

Devlin Diary by Christi Phillips
A story that takes place in the past and the present. I think it was heavy on the past which was fine with me because that was a more interesting story in my opinion. I liked reading about the medicine of the time. Good historical fiction with a lot of mystery thrown in.

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Second in the Hunger Games series. These were recommended to me by a friend and I'm glad they were. They are full of interesting characters and situations. I think there is just one left to go and I can't wait to read it.

The Questory of Root Karbunkulus by Kamilla Reid
This was actually a reread. I gave it to the above mentioned friend for Christmas and got the urge to read it again myself. I love the way Reid uses language, great descriptions and vivid characters. And who can resist a good story about magic and adventure.

The Awakening by Kelley Armstong
This is also the second in a series. The first one ended a bit abruptly so I wanted to find out what happened. It's a fun fast read about kids with supernatural powers. I will probably read the next one because I do want to see how it all ends but it's something I can wait for.

Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene
I saw the movie and wanted to give the book a try. It was funny. Funnier than I expected. But it is also tragic in many ways. I really enjoyed it.

The Music of Reason by Theoni Pappas
Basically a book of quotes about math. Some are interesting, some are not. I think you really have to be interested in mathematics to fully appreciate it.

No comments: