Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sea Hawk Vocabulary

Words from The Sea-Hawk by Rafael Sabatini that sent me to the dictionary.


Demesne - possession of land as one's own: land held in demesne
- an estate or part of an estate occupied and controlled by, and worked for the exclusive use of, the owner.

Lissom - lithesome or lithe, esp. of body; supple; flexible

Untrammeled - not limited or restricted; unrestrained

Froward - willfully contrary; not easily managed

Littoral - of or pertaining to the shore of a lake, sea, or ocean

Trepan - to cut circular disks from (plate stock) using a rotating cutter

Devoir - an act of civility or respect

Asperse - to attack with false, malicious, and damaging charges or insinuations; slander

Sacerdotal - of priests; priestly

Culverin - an early, crudely made musket

Sophistry - a subtle, tricky, superficially plausible, but generally fallacious method of reasoning


There were also a few words that if asked I would have said I knew what they meant but I realized if pressed I would not be able to come up with an actual definition. So I decided to look them up and see if I was even close. I'm happy to say that my vague ideas about the meaning of these words were all in the right general direction at least.

Calumny - a false and malicious statement designed to injure the reputation of someone or something

Inveigh - to protest strongly or attack vehemently with words; rail

Indolent - having or showing a disposition to avoid exertion; slothful
- blithe joyous, merry, or gay in disposition; glad; cheerful without thought or regard; carefree; heedless

Itinerant - traveling from place to place, esp. on a circuit, as a minister, judge, or sales representative

No comments: