Friday, February 3, 2017

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings (Feb. 3)

The Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post in the Linky here. Add the post url, not your blog url.
*It's that simple.
Book Beginning is hosted by Rose City Reader. All you have to do is share the opening line of the book you're reading and what you think about it. Check out the other posts here.





My book this week is Roots by Alex Haley.  I think everyone probably knows what it's about.

Book Beginnings:

Early in the spring of 1750, in the village of Juffure, four days upriver from the coast of The Gambia, West Africa, a manchild was born to Omoro and Binta Kinte.

Friday 56

"Where are you going?" they chattered, scampering on either side of Kunta.  "Is he your fa?"  "Are you Mandinka?"  "What's your village?"  Weary as he was, Kunta felt very mature and important, ignoring them just as his father was doing.

I have not gotten very far yet.  In fact, I'm only on page 18.  So it is kind of hard to judge yet.  I have a long way to go.  And of course my impressions are influenced by the fact that I know where things are headed.  So I think my feelings for the characters might be different than if I didn't know the trouble that was coming.  But at only 18 pages I already feel like I know Kunta's family and community.  I'm already emotionally involved.  So I'm sure the rest of the 500 odd pages will have the same impact.




7 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've been meaning to read this book, as I enjoyed the mini-series when it first came out in the 70s.

Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “RAINY DAY WOMEN”

sherry fundin said...

I read it and I hope you enjoy it.
sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

Breana M. said...

Seems interesting. I hope you enjoy the book. :-)

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I'm not sure why I haven't read this book. It's been on my TBR list for years. Thanks for the reminder.
My Friday post features The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry.

Unknown said...

It always strikes me odd that I enjoy a film and then don't ever get around to reading the book it's inspired from. Need to fix that:)

My Friday 56 from Every Last Word

fredamans said...

I loved the tv series based on this book. Epic! Happy weekend!

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I've never read the book, but I loved the original show! :)

Lauren @ Always Me